Department: Procurement Reports to: Purchasing Supervisor
Starting Wage: $40–$50K/Year DOE
Summit Body has served the commercial truck and transportation industry in Portland for over 35 years building and mounting dry vans, flatbeds, and refrigerated vans. Summit’s Core Purpose is to be the market’s first choice for a partner in transportation. Our Core Values include: Integrity in all we do, doing whatever it takes, be innovative, communicate with transparency, bring out the best in each other and to WIN.
The Buyer will be responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and managing the supply chain from purchase order to delivery of materials required for the Company’s operations. This position is responsible for understanding the timeliness and inventory levels required for Summit to have successful production and for supporting the Operations team in solving problems with sustainable solutions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Submit purchase orders based on short and long-term material requirement planning (MRP) to be approved by the Purchasing Supervisor.
- Coordinate, track and oversee the delivery of required materials. The Buyer may be required to arrange all forms of freight, both inbound and outbound, via various modes of transportation.
- Receive parts sales calls from customers and generate parts quotes. Process parts quotes into invoices and submit to the material handling team for packaging and shipment.
- Meet with staff and vendors to discuss and resolve defective or unacceptable goods or services; determine corrective action and follow-through.
- Review packing slips and Bills of Material (BOM’s) for accuracy, prior to submitting to Accounts Payable.
- Assist the Purchasing Supervisor with sourcing materials for special builds and projects.
- Maintain item data including price, lead time, and other characteristics in the Company’s ERP systems.
- Evaluate potential suppliers based on partnerships, price, quality, and lead times.
- Oversee material inventory levels to ensure proper safety stock levels and margins are maintained.
- Improve methods and processes to improve productivity, reduce costs and improve quality.
- Assist the Purchasing Supervisor with other various tasks as requested.
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience in Finance or Supply Chain
- At least 3 years of procurement planning experience required
- Must have exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Requires flexibility, confidentiality, high level of accuracy, and attention to detail
- Proven ability to work professionally and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment
- Microsoft Office suite computer experience
- Familiarity with MRP systems use and maintenance
- Familiarity with Lean principles such as 5S, Kanban, etc.
- Pre-employment drug test
- The Buyer will be stationed in the office, however, at times will be required to help customers at the parts counter. The Buyer will also assist in organizing the parts room and with cycle counts.
- Lift, carry, push, and pull 50lbs. consistently; and stoop, bend, twist, climb and stand for extended periods of time is normal for the position.
The normal shift work hours are Monday through Friday from 7:45am to 4:30pm, and the Buyer’s workweek is typically 40-45 hours.
Salary range of $40-50K/year DOE, health/dental, paid vacation, 401K plan and ESOP participation.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Summit Body & Equipment is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fill out the form for a quick response. You can also reach us by phone or e-mail.
We look forward to working with you.
You can also reach us by phone or e-mail: