Director of Operations
Reports to: President/CEO
The Director of Operations works closely with the President/CEO and members of the leadership team, and is accountable for providing strategic direction and oversight of manufacturing, materials, and parts and service. This position is responsible for developing and monitoring operational performance standards, managing operational costs, and building a high-performing cross-functional leadership team with a passion for developing and delivering world-class products. This individual must be enthusiastic about growing the business, and a strategic and forward thinker while taking a hands-on approach with the operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the company President/CEO to provide strategic direction and oversight of the manufacturing, materials, and parts and service leadership team to meet requirements of quality, delivery and cost.
Create, maintain and meet key operational goals and metrics.
- Develop short- and long-term operational and human resource strategies to meet company growth and cost control objectives.
- Implement and sustain continuous improvement principles and processes, and make recommendations to maximize return on investment and profitability.
Create a collaborative team environment fostering company values.
- Engage with staff at a hands-on level in order to teach, coach, mentor and drive results; and manage performance in accordance with company policies.
- Work with the company President/CEO to manage operational financial targets and ensure capital expenditures support company goals and direction with a strong return on investment.
Assure adequate safety and environmental programs to protect all employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related business- or manufacturing-related field; or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
Minimum 7 years’ cross-functional operational leadership experience in a manufacturing environment; multi-site operational management experience is desired.
- Experience in a related metals and assembly manufacturing environment is highly desired.
Experience in the parts and service industry is a plus.
Broad experience with manufacturing processes and controls, with advanced knowledge of integrated (MRP/ERP) systems.
Hands-on leadership to develop new plans and approaches at the top while spending time with staff on daily implementation throughout operations.
Strong understanding of lean enterprise, and demonstrated ability to apply lean tools and methods.
Financial acumen; ability to understand and use financial data to make sound business decisions.
- History of successfully developing high performing, cross-functional teams.
Self-directed with proactive style that communicates information, ideas, and feedback verbally and in writing so others clearly understand.
Exceptional judgement, analytical thinking, and decision-making skills.
- Proactive critical thinker who identifies opportunities and potential challenges, and engages appropriate team members in finding and implementing solutions.
Proficient with Microsoft Office applications; advanced level Excel.
- The factory noise level is usually loud requiring ear protection at all times. The work area has moving cranes, forklift traffic, and will occasionally require exposure to wet conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. Intermittently throughout the day, the Production Supervisor will be required to work outside in the heat or rainy conditions.
- Lift, carry, push and pull 75 lbs. consistently; and stoop, bend, twist, climb and stand for extended periods of time is normal for the position.
Salary range of $120K – 140K/year DOE, profit sharing, health/dental/life insurance, paid vacation, 401K plan and ESOP participation.
Summit Body has served the commercial truck and transportation industry in Portland for over 35 years building and mounting dry vans, flatbeds and refrigerated vans. It is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Summit Body & Equipment is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fill out the form for a quick response. You can also reach us by phone or e-mail.
We look forward to working with you.
You can also reach us by phone or e-mail: