Department: Purchasing Reports to: Purchasing Manager
Starting Wage: XXX
Summit Body has served the commercial truck and transportation industry in Portland for over 35 years building and mounting dry vans, flatbeds, and refrigerated vans. The Buyer will be responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and managing the entire process from purchase order to delivery of materials required for the Company’s operations. This position is responsible for understanding the timeliness and inventory levels required for Summit to have successful operations and for supporting the Operations team in solving problems with sustainable solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Submit purchase orders based on short and long-term material requirement planning (MRP) to be approved by the Purchasing Manager.
- Coordinate, track and oversee the delivery of required materials. The Buyer may be required to arrange all forms of freight, both inbound and outbound, via various modes of transportation.
- Receive parts sales calls from customers and generate parts quotes. Process parts quotes into invoices and submit to the material handling team for packaging and shipment.
- Meet with staff and vendors to discuss and resolve defective or unacceptable goods or services; determine corrective action and follow-through.
- Review packing slips and Bills of Material (BOM’s) for accuracy, prior to submitting to Accounts Payable.
- Assist the Purchasing Manager with sourcing materials for special builds and projects.
- Maintain item data including price, lead time, and other characteristics in the Company’s ERP systems.
- Evaluate potential suppliers based on partnerships, price, quality, and speed of delivery.
- Oversee the Parts Department to ensure proper inventory levels and margins are kept always.
- Improve methods and processes to improve productivity, reduce costs and improve quality.
- Assist the Purchasing Manager with other various tasks as requested.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment with shifting priorities.
- Communicate clearly and effectively.
- Microsoft Office suite computer experience.
- Familiarity with ERP systems use and maintenance.
- Familiarity with Lean principles such as 5s, Kanban, etc.
- Pre-employment drug test.
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience in Finance or Supply Chain.
- The Buyer will be stationed in the office, however, at times will be required to help customers at the parts counter. The Buyer will also assist in organizing the parts room and with cycle counts.
- Lift, carry, push, and pull 50lbs. consistently; and stoop, bend, twist, climb and stand for extended periods of time is normal for the position.
The normal shift work hours are Monday through Friday from 7:45am to 4:30pm, and the Buyer’s workweek is typically 40-45 hours.
Salary range of $40-50K/year DOE, health/dental, paid vacation, 401K plan and ESOP participation.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Summit Body & Equipment is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume using the form below or download our application.
Fill out the form for a quick response. You can also reach us by phone or e-mail.
We look forward to working with you.
You can also reach us by phone or e-mail: